Business Licenses

Under the Tennessee Business Tax Act most businesses, vocations, and occupations operating within Hamilton County, TN are required to obtain a business license and annually report their gross receipts to the Tennessee Department of Revenue.

What type of business license do you need?
Business Type Classifications
Types of Exempt Businesses
Opening a Business
Closing a Business
Contact Information for Business Licenses

What Kind of Business License Do You Need?
Standard Business Licenses are for businesses that gross more than $100,000 annually and are not exempt (see “Exempt Businesses” below). To obtain the initial license, remit an application along with your one-time $15 application fee to Town Hall, 1111 Ridgeway Avenue. At the end of the business tax year, a tax return stating annual gross receipts is filed with the Tennessee Department of Revenue through the Tennessee Taxpayer Access Point (TNTAP). For more information about TNTAP, visit   

Minimal Activity Business Licenses
are for businesses that gross between $3,000 to $100,000 annually. To obtain the annual license, remit an application along with your one-time $15 application fee to Town Hall. No annual tax return required. The license must be renewed annually through the County Clerk’s office.  

For help determining your Business Tax Classification, click here.  

Exempt Businesses are exempt from Business License requirements per TCA 67-4-712.

  1. Businesses that gross less than $3,000 annually.
  2. Manufacturers as described in Division D of the SIC.
  3. Services (not including tangible property sales) listed under the provision of TCA 67-4-708(3)(C) and so described in Division I of the SIC. Exempt services generally include, but are not limited to: doctors, dentists, veterinarians, attorneys, accountants, schools, religious organizations, nonprofit membership organizations, insurance agents, loan companies, security exchanges, and public utilities. If providers of any exempt service provide sales of tangible personal property and/or taxable services, such services are subject to business tax. 
Opening a Business:
1. Obtain a business license from Town Hall within 20 days after commencement of business. Applications are available at Town Hall or online here -Business License Application.  
2. If purchasing an existing business, be certain the previous owner filed a Final Gross Receipts Tax Return with the Tennessee Department of Revenue; otherwise, the new owner can be held liable for any tax due.

Closing a Business and/or Terminating the License:
1. Standard Business License—a final Business Tax Return must be filed with the Tennessee Department of Revenue within 15 days of closing
2. Minimal Activity Business License—You only need to notify the County Clerk’s Office at 423-209-6500
3. Notify the Hamilton County Assessor’s Personal Property department at 423-209-7323 to close your account. Failing to close your account will result in future forced assessments
4. Notify the Hamilton County Trustee’s office at 423-209-7270 to determine if any personalty tax is owed
Contact Information for Business Licenses

Town of Signal Mountain
1111 Ridgeway Avenue
Signal Mountain, TN 37377

For tax filing information:
Tennessee Department of Revenue